Selecting the right homestay for our International students is very important to us here at Mount Maunganui College.
Hosting is a crucial role that our host families play during a student’s time away from their family and country.
Students will encounter many challenges, changes and cultural differences while living in New Zealand and as their 'kiwi family', you have the opportunity to assist the students in finding their path through this experience.
While students come here for a variety of reasons, one of the main reasons is to improve their English. Being placed in a ‘Kiwi’ homestay will assist them.
Interested in hosting an International Student? We are looking for families who:
- are not primarily doing it for the money involved
- have a genuine interest in finding out more about other cultures
- are able to set fair but firm negotiated boundaries
- enjoy a range of activities and are willing to involve their student
- have an empathy and understanding of teenagers
- are tolerant, have a sense of humour and a desire to interact with their student
To register as a Homestay Family for international students at Mount Maunganui College, you will be required to:
- Complete an application form with family and home questions (to help us 'match' homes and students)
- Undergo a police check (for all those 18 yrs and over who live at the family home or visit frequently)
- A house visit and interview
Should you meet all the requirements, we will then be happy to include your family on our database. Should a suitable student then require accommodation, we will contact you.
Note: Being registered with our school for homestay does not guarantee a student placement.
If you wish to apply to become a host family please email Jen Durham at [email protected] to discuss further.